Sunday, June 8, 2014

Happy Birthday ...The Poppy Sketch #5, Seize the Birthday

Happy Sunday afternoon!  

Busy day! We were off bright and early today for a bike race; my first 'officiating' duty of the season. It was a 5-hour enduro mountain bike race and I’m cheering because the sun was shining and even thought it was chilly (yes, I was dressed in many layers) the usual 'downpour' didn't happen.  In this particular event, racers can compete solo, or in pairs (different 'prizes' for the categories), with the goal of accumulating the greatest number of laps in the time frame. If they cross the line even 1 second past the 5 -hour mark, that lap doesn't count. Strategy...and because my husband was the timing guy, we gave the riders advice about tackling an extra lap, or not.  Ultimately, their decision.  The officiating is pretty easy...stand around, call out rider numbers when they come through the gate, wait...repeat.  No sweating involved. The best part, racing aside, is the organizers bring the. Best. snacks; the not so good part...everyone, including those of us who weren't even going near the race trails themselves, need to be equipped with...bear spray!! Eeeeep!  I had mine ready. I didn't want Yogi and Boo Boo sneaking up on me!!

Today, I'm sharing cards made with a gift I received from one of the sweetest, most talented, creative - and we're not just talking cards here, but EVERYTHING - Kim, from Cupcakes, Cards and Kim.  Her repertoire includes sewing, baking, card-making, teaching AND being ultra thoughtful, heart-warming and inspiring!  I was beyond thrilled and honoured when Kim emailed me a few weeks back, asking for my address...and she sent me a Happy Birthday embossing folder, because I'd expressed delight at a card she'd made with this gem!!  Seriously, how awesome is that!!   I'm feeling mighty blessed....

I needed to showcase this super cool folder and The Poppy Sketch #5 offered wonderful inspiration:



This one says "Smile, it's your birthday" inside...


I'm also entering Seize the Birthday, but without the Summertime topping.


Love my new folder!! THANK YOU, Kim!!

Thanks so much for dropping by; your visit and comments make my day!!

19 comments:

Janet's Joy said...

I love that embossing folder and you have created some wonderful cards with it!
So glad you played along with us at Seize the Birthday!

Nonni said...

Two gorgeous cards, I love the frame idea and especially the pretty butterfly!

Kylie said...

Bear spray?? Omg Carol that sounds scary!!... BUT I am from Australia so we have so many dangerous critters. Im glad we dont have bears to add to the mix lol. That embossing folder is awesome. Crafters are SO generous! You have done it justice with these mighty fine cards xx

Susanne Vargas said...

That was one of the first embossing folders that I bought. Haven't used it in a while. Thanks for inspiring me to dig it out again. Both of your cards are fabulous!
Also enjoy reading about you "other" life: your husbands bike racing. Something I know nothing about.

Happy Dance said...

Aren't those embossing folders just the ticket?! They can add so much dimension and texture without adding bulk. Another pair of fabby cards, Carol! Well done! Love this blogosphere. And I have to say, to heck with the bear spray, give me a double barreled shotgun any day, lol! No one would question your umpiring calls either! ; ) Bev

Lisa Petrella said...

Both of these are fabulous!! Love the embossing in the background and the fun frames and die-cuts you used!!! Thanks for playing along with us at Poppy Sketches! Sounds like a fun race day!

Tracey McNeely said...

Race day sounds awesome, gotta love living with the bears. One day I will share my camping with the bears in Banff National Park story with you. Awesome cards Carol, so much texture! Love that embossing folder and yes Kim is a gem!

Anita in France said...

So, I'm wondering is it the cycling that attracts the bears?! These are so beautifully textural, Carol ... such wonderful interest and still so crisp and clean ... fab! Isn't Kim just the sweetest? Hugs, Anita :)

Vicki Dutcher said...

Love your framing -- great card. So fun when stampers "share" :)

~amy~ said...

Oh these are both awesome...love your new embossing folder!
snacks...I'd go for the snacks :)

Kim Heggins said...

Miss Carol...you are just the sweetest and you did not have to go and write all that you did, I was just happy to share. I love both of your cards, they are both just amazing and so fun, I will be cas'ing you know! I love your adorable little camera too, such a sweet addition to your already fabulous card. Ok, I am with everyone else...what the heck is Bear Spray???? and why do you need it??? looking forward to your answer too! Take care and thank you again for being so sweet.

sandie said...

Just adorable and how sweet of Kim. Your Viking weekends sound fun but a bit scary too. I still have to hint out that company you sent me but I am so busy organsising getting all DT cards done before hols, it may have to wait til I get home....and I will be asking you again!!

Kay Miller said...

Oooooh how exciting that you got a new embossing folder! That's a really neat one too! And your cards.... Oh my!! Those are SO cute! I love the little banners and those frames are wonderful! Beautiful work my friend! I sure hope those bears didn't get you! ;)

Deepti said...

These are so adorable and so amazing, I love the sweet stitched banner and the camera :)

Monika Reeck said...

you are ROCK...both are FUNTASTIC...the one with camera is cuuuteeee and I am always love your card with butterfly..I guess this will be another winner card...believe me or if you dont believe me it will still be a winner card LOL...big hugs from me in Germany...

Shannon J said...

Okay, you posted this on Sunday??!! Am I seriously THAT far behind!! Jeebies!! OMG that was SO sweet of Kim to send you a sweet package - so thoughtful!! And just look what you've done with your new goodies!! SUCH a sweet card! Love that banner, and the little camera with the sequins in the lens...eeeek!!! Totally adorable!! Can't wait for Monday :) :) :)

Dana said...

Awesome cards!! The backgrounds are amazing and dang the butterfly!!! I also love the little camera!!! So cute!!

Greta said...

These are so creative & cute, Carol--love them!

Glenda J said...

Fun cards! Great take on the sketch - fabulous background texture and terrific details. Thanks for playing along with Seize the Birthday!