Sunday, July 28, 2013

Back at 'er, slowly...Paper Smooches SPARKS: Picture Perfect and Freshly Made Sketches

Nearly a month has passed since I played with a challenge, and whoa…out of practice!!  With all the learning and inspiration from Summer Card Camp, you’d think I’d be flying high with a new bag of tricks, new designs, new interpretations. “Ha!” I say. Big Ha!  Nope.  I’m still puttering as I did before, because I think I need some ‘processing’ time for all the lessons and techniques to penetrate into my creative psyche.  Ideas I have…but the ‘how to’ still needs some mulling.  Perhaps, like fine wine needs to age, so too does my thinking before doing.  Anyway…

Today, two cards for three challenges, and I’m pairing them up because they feature predominately Paper Smooches products.



Logically, I should be creating ‘water’ or ‘sunset’ themed images ("picture perfect" being the operative phrase), but…nope. In Summer Camp, the talented Kelly Rasmussen designed a subway-inspired card, with a series of “you” connected sentiments.  I decided to give this technique a whirl – with some masking to create words involved as well - selecting sentiments from my collection of PS stamps (I think I used four or five, including a Christmas set), and my colours from those in the photo: pink, red, yellow, orange and a bit of blue (water…blue, right?).  The resulting card may ‘look’ simplistic, but trust me: much time invested!  In real life, it’s kind of cool…Oh yes, since masking was part of my production, I’m also adding it to the ever-creative Savannah’s challenge at  the Do More With Less site.  Head on over for details - and be sure to join in!!

Here it is, my 'attempt' at a subway-inspired card:


(I'm a little bummed that my orange ink didn't turn our better, esp. since its new.  Grrr...)

I really like the 'concept' of this card, and will definitely make a return to this technique; some small note cards are coming to mind....


My second card – again with PS stamps - Calico - as the headliner – is for Freshly Made Sketches #96
.  Love making tags…just need to get back in practice!  


There...a small 'come back'...

Thanks so much for dropping by; please let me know you did! Your comments brighten my day!


14 comments:

Michelle said...

Great cards! Your subway card is adorable! And I love the one with the tag. I have a fondness for tags too. And I love this one with the flower.

Katie Ann Brooks said...

Love both of these cards, the subway card is actually awesome! Don't be so hard on yourself, the more you do the more ideas you'll have. That is what I hope anyway, for my own sake too since I am hard on myself. :) I wish I would have taken that class, jealous big time!

Darnell said...

I think you sell yourself short, Carol! Your cards are really fabulous and show the time and effort and thought that you put into creating them!!

yyam said...

Such sweet cards! Lovelovelove your subway-inspired card --> awesome stamping!

Thanks for playing along with my guest Sav's challenge!

Marlena M. said...

BEAUTIFULLY spaced sentiments, Carol~and gorgeous work with that sketch. Both are perfectly executed~it's a joy to see you getting crafty, friend!

Allisa said...

Great set of cards! Thanks for playing with us at Freshly Made Sketches!

Cindy Hall said...

Love both cards! You have wonderful talent! Thanks for sharing with us at Freshly Made Sketches!

Shannon J said...

Wa wa wa WOW!!! These are AWESOME!!! The subway card is expertly done and my jaw dropped when I saw how you used the "thank" and the "ful"!! LOVE it!! And your second card is just as wow!!! Those flowers backing onto that gorgeous patterned paper and the perfect CAS results!! Fabulous! I think you are absorbing WAY more than I think you are - you are a super star Carol!!!

Happy Dance said...

Killer cards, my friend. That subway card...no way I could get the phrases that straight. And I absolutely love your second card. It's a winner for sure. Love them. Bev

Kim S said...

I so like both of these cards! I love the subway look - I'm afraid to try it myself, I'm afraid I would obsess over it and that's not that point. It's just a wonderful splash of words and you have accomplished that!!

Geri said...

WOW! Girl, you have been on one heck of a creative roll. I just scrolled through your posts that I missed while away and my jaw hit the floor so hard that I will likely have a bruise for weeks!

Every single card is amazing! Your creativity is shining like a beacon in the night. The Christmas cards are adorable, the subway inspired card is absolutely perfectly stamped, the calico card is sweet as ever! Your geometric Thanks card knocked my socks off!

Yep, I'm with Bev....killer cards Carol!

Greta said...

Your cards are great, Carol! Welcome back to the world of challenges, my friend! That sketch is really neat & I so love your take on it!

Kylie said...

You're amazing, Carol, and so talented! I *LOVE* the subway art card. The colours are gorgeous and the sentiments are perfectly placed. The tag card - what can I say? - beautiful!

Savannah O'Gwynn said...

CARRRRRRRRRRRRRRROL! You are tooooooo funny! I love that you compare your thinking/processing with wine! LOL!

I loooooooove your subway stamped card-- what a fabulous design! LOVE the colors and ALLLLLLL of the stamps you've used! FABULOUSLY done!!! My fav image are the glittered hearts-- they just POP!! You've done well x100000000 with your first challenge back:)

And your second card is just too cute for words-- simple but packed with WOW! I love that black patterned paper with the flowers-gorgeous! WOWZA! You nailed it;)

THANKS for joining in the fun with the Paper Smooches SPARKS challenge.... and my masking challenge;) I'm honored that you would be inspired by me....thank you for always lifting me up and encouraging me! You are a blessing, my friend <3