Sunday, June 16, 2013

Hello...PS SPARKS Challenge: Designer Draft June 9 - 16

Whew and whew! Another Banff Bike Fest in the history books!  The last four days of racing, with a total of five highly competitive events have come...and gone...as quickly, it seems, as a peloton of cyclists flying by at  50 km/h.  My assessment of the event: total success!  Those who won did so with the utmost of athletic skill and sportsmanship, and those who didn't still 'won' because they experienced racing in one of the most beautiful places in Canada.

As for me: utterly exhausted, but I'm pleased with my small, totally nonathletic contributions:  Thursday, I managed to *5-4-3-2-1-GO* 189 riders at 30 second intervals without messing up any of the starts.  On Friday, I accomplished learning how to make rosettes (sort of). Saturday, I survived counting down the laps for the five criterium races - in proper order - without missing laps, or forgetting to ring the bell when I had to (plus, the riders didn't crash into me, even though they rode exceptionally close to where I was standing.  Couple of scary moments...).  And today, I didn't have to pull too many riders off the course when they fell 7 minutes or more behind the lead group.  Performing the *chopped neck* sign-language to indicate "you're finished now; please stop racing' is not one of my favourite tasks; necessary, yes, but not fun.  Then again, most of those pulled seemed rather happy that the pain and suffering had ended, so...go figure.  Perhaps a good deed after all.

After spending from 7 am to 9:30 pm at the race on Saturday, having supper around 11:00pm, then returning for the final race at 6:00 am, and wrapping up around 5:00pm,  I'm bleary-eyed and only sort of coherent.  Even so, I had finishing touches to put on my entry for Paper Smooches SPARKS Challenge: Designer Draft June 9 - 16, and that I did.  A new stamp arrived in my mailbox on Friday .and in a quirky twist, I realized I had some similarly themed 12 X 12 paper (another one of those* how-did-this-get-here* finds), so, I had to go with the message: match up this paper with that stamp. Production started Saturday, finished today and during that time frame - I have to say that a most amazing field of creative entries have arrived!  I'm not sure mine is anywhere near up to par, but the stamp is just too cute, I had to share....

Here's the inspiration sketch:

and here's my interpretation:

The background paper is one side of the kite paper from my stash (Imaginesce); the clouds 
are paper-pieced with the other side.  Lots of wee bows happening, and purple, too...

Time to prep the pizza, sit on the couch and watch re-runs of Castle...nice!!

Thanks so much for dropping by; please let me know your did! Your comments are welcome and appreciated, immensely!




9 comments:

Darnell said...

Adorable PS image and wonderful take on the sketch, Carol!!

Happy Dance said...

Such a fun card, Carol! Love this kite stamp...I've got to use mine more-thanks for the reminder!! Great colors, and fabulous dp too. Great take on the sketch. Have a relaxing week! Love hearing about the races. Bev

Shannon J said...

Eek!!! So adorable, Carol! You're right - perfect paper~stamp match! Love that you pulled the colours from the paper to match the flag - such a perfect little touch! And this card could be used for so many other occasions too - baby, little girl, birthday - the sky's the limit (pun indended!).
Hope you're recovering well after your crazy weekend! Pizza and flopping out to watch re-runs sound like a perfect start to me ;) !!!

Shannon J said...

Flag??? Did I really say flag in my last comment? Smacking head - I meant kite!! Geesh!! Proof read, Shannon - PROOF READ!! ha ha!

Geri said...

Love the paper pieced "flag"...chuckled when I read Shannon's second comment!

Now, back to your fabulous creation - these colors rock! They totally capture the light hardheartedness of the fun Hello! Love your paper pieced clouds. BTW, did you happen to see the new PS cloud dies....yep, you're gonna wanna get some! Oh, and there are also some really, really cute wave dies as well!

Sounds like a very successful race event. No doubt directly attributed to the amazing volunteer base! Although you were likely exhausted, being an integral part of the event has got to feel pretty darn good!

A couple good nights of sleep and you'll be raring to go for the next event!

Marlena M. said...

You are AMAZING. I can't believe you got an adorable card done AND did all that work for the race. WOW! Thank you for your recent vote of confidence...it inspired me to craft and I hope you don't mind I gave you the credit. ;)

Kim S said...

I know that you and I are the same general age - WHERE do you find your energy!!! Just all that fresh air would have done me in - yet you still have time to pull together this sweet little scene with all of the kite string!! (I love Castle reruns too! I've had Castle on for the last 4 1/2 hours with a few more to go!)

Greta said...

Wow--sounds like quite the experience with the races, Carol! So glad no one ran over you! How amazing you had that paper that matches your new stamp--love it! Great card!

Savannah O'Gwynn said...

LOOOOOOOOOVE this! I love love love the banner and multicolored kite! ADORABLE card:) THANKS so much for joining in the fun over at the Paper Smooches SPARKS Designer Drafts challenge-- hope you play along with our photo inspiration challenge this week <3

ps... I know I'm a bit late in leaving my comment! Time flies:)