Thursday, May 2, 2013

"His" Sympathy Card...Online His & Hers Card Class and Retro Sketches #61

My, oh my, oh my...sympathy cards are challenging in general, but adding a 'masculine' touch makes them even doubly...perhaps quadruply...so!  Such was our assignment for Day 3 of the Online His & Hers Card class.  The samples, techniques and videos shared by the instructors: top-notch, plus!  The 'gentleness and softness' that cards of this nature call for: conveyed beautifully, both in masculine and feminine versions.  The learning I'm experiencing: priceless! And I mean that sincerely!  My dendrites are growing in leaps and bounds!!
His & Hers

I finished 'half' my homework - creating a masculine sympathy card.  One of the kazillion wonderful aspects of this course sees me viewing my paper pads with 'new eyes.' Many sheets I had sort of 'written off' because they didn't fit my so-called 'style,' are proving to be 'exactly' what I need...and they're right at my fingertips!  As much as I really *want* to buy more supplies, I truly don't *have* to (well, not yet - because another perk of this course are student discounts, which I fully intend to take advantage of, once the course is done. Have I convinced you to sign up yet???). We're told from the outset to 'shop our stash' - and it's quite amazing what I've found.

Retro Sketches #61 is my layout inspiration. 


My "band of flowers" is a fussy-cut piece from a My Mind's Eye pad, as is the PS Flap Happy Butterfly.  The sentiment is from Verve.  One little 'extra' - that in hindsight I wish I hadn't done - was adding ink (with my trusty Q-tip paint brush...see what I mean about *needing* supplies!!) to the leaves.  So much for my original plan to let the paper speak for itself!  Oh well...I still have the other half of my assignment to complete - feminine sympathy card - where I'll aim for no second guessing (or 'attempts' to try something new - for me -  just because!).

Thanks for dropping in, and please know that your comments are welcomed and appreciated, deeply.
Have a HAPPY day!!

Sorry for the poor quality photo...I may give it another photo op later...






3 comments:

Happy Dance said...

Sympathy cards are hard! But you've done well here. And I'm with you, I'd rather shop than just shop my stash, because I "need" new stuff, but I've been pretty good about it so far this year. I sure hope I can hold out a while longer. Keep those cards a comin' Bev

Geri said...

You have completely captured the essence of sympathy in this card. The earthy colors are subtle and comforting in nature. Beautiful selection of patterned paper from 'your stash' . Awesome job fussy cutting - wow, perfectly smooth curves!

I'm with Bev on the shopping part (hee hee). Want and Need tend to visit often and they can be such bullies! Much safer to give in then try to beat them cuz they run faster than I do!

Shannon J said...

I agree with both of the lovely ladies above - not only does the card cast a soft, sympathetic feeling, it also sets a perfect masculine tone. Oh, and I love your Q-tip colouring...I think it adds extra softness! I *may* have resorted to a Q-tip once or twice (or fifty) times before myself. But this I cannot confirm or deny - ha ha!

Want ~ Need - aren't they one on the same??!!!